Tuesday, February 9, 2010

meeting old friends

I already had planned how my day should go. Have my picture taken at UP SC, then buy meds for the parents, run some other errands and get my laptop. As I was walking, I felt the urge to have something cold as the heat of the summer kisses me. The nearest fruit shake stand did not have what I had in my mind. I found it odd that they do not serve avocado shake, saying it was out of the season whjen I knew it wasn't. Nevertheless I went to a hunt and moved to another store despite it's distance from I should be really going. A sudden change in my planned route led me to a famous carinderia in UP. While waiting in cue, I was tapped by an old friend who happened to drop by UP since it was a city holiday in Mandaluyong. She is with another good friend and talked for hours, laughing and recalling the old UP days. The org days actually, since it was what brought us together in the first place. We chatted on how the org was, the gossips, issues - political and romantic, the people whom we miss dearly. We laughed and on the good times, how we were then and now. We relayed the mishaps and misadventures we have encountered since we got out of UP. Funny how much we have grown yet still had that youthful college spirit.

As we decided to part ways since it was getting dark, we passed by Mang Larry's Isaw, which is already an icon of UP culture. We decided to grab a bite, only to realize that another former orgmates were there too. Again, we chatted, laughed and caught up on each others' lives. It is true that once a working person visits his old college campus would feel young again. Others felt relaxed, rejuvenated and filled with the old youthful energy. They felt it and I did too. I don't know if it had to do witht he fresh air, the cool breeze or the trees surrounding the campus. I think it is the memories that we would hold on for the rest of our lives. The experiences of joy, heartache, fulfillment, deadlines and friendships that we had would always be imprinted in our memories.

Then it was getting dark. We still have work and classes to attend to the next day so the need to the end of meeting was inevitable.

I had a good time and I know they did too. I did finish my errands and still had time to write this. Earlier, I was worried I may not do what I was supposed to do today. I was afraid the plans I had for this day would remain just a plan and will be executed the following day or the next. But I did make it.

Sometimes circumstances would make us change how we live our lives. A simple change in plan might change the everything. Well, not really simple changes will not do harm unless you get too engorge you forgot your duties and responsibilities. Sometimes letting it all flow and let nature take its course would make you happier and more fulfilled.

That sudden change in my route and schedule for the day left me happier. I was not exhausted, nay, I felt energized. We all wished that we could still live our lives the way we did before. But everybody has to grow up and see the real world.

So for anyone who is in college now, enjoy while it lasts. And when it ends, feel free to drop by your college campus once in a while. It will bring you back to the old days when everything was free; when you were not yet a taxpayer and you were still your own master.

No comments:

Post a Comment