Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Travel with Mom and Dad

I love to travel. It was a desire brought about by my youth and thirst for adventure. I grew up traveling in the nearby provinces with my family. And almost everyday I go with my parents around the metro running errands. The prices of gas and diesel have risen for the past few years but still, i found ways to roam around. I am not much of a public transport commuter, my father usually drive and send me to places I need to go. He insists that he drive me because there's nothing much to do at home since he retired from work almost five years ago. However, his heart condition make me think twice about asking him to drive me long distances. The traffic, the heat and the unholy streets of the Metro can sometimes take their toll on my Dad's blood pressure. So to avoid heated arguments, adrenaline-rising situations, I often opt to travel with other people or alone.

I wanted to bring my parents to beautiful places, like tourist spots in and out of the country and show them breath-taking scenery. Whenever I see the countryside, I always wished my mom would be there to see it and my dad could smell the cool breeze. However, their age and health limit us in seeing the world beyond our home.

But as my mother once said, I should not let them interfere with my dreams. Much as I wanted to travel with them, I cannot for if I take the chances, we might end up playing with debt from hospital expenses and death. Instead, I shall dream for them. For wherever I may go, I will surely bring my parents in my heart. Pictures and stories of vacation and travel will not suffice but I am sure that they too will travel to beautiful places with breathtaking scenery, without worries of illness or risks of injury, hopefully 40 years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment